Aug 31, 2008

James Blake finds time to do charity off court

James Blake added to his ongoing charitable work Friday by presenting The Harlem Junior Tennis & Education Program and the USTA Serves foundation with a $10,000 check on behalf of Evian Natural Spring Water.

As a three-year spokesperson for Evian, Blake decided to tap into his creative juices this year and design a Limited Edition Evian Brumisateur, which was exclusively sold at the 2008 US Open and the 2008 Olympus Open Series.

The $10,000 donation came from the sale of the water sprays.

Blake is a graduate and proud supporter of the Harlem Junior Tennis & Education Program. Every year he does his best to give back to the program that helped him get his start. Youth from the program were on hand today, sporting their J-Block T-shirts, to meet with Blake for the ceremony and a photo opportunity.
“Our goal is to create successful kids,” said Harlem Junior Tennis & Educational Program Director James R. Kelly III. “We realize that not every kid will be a James Blake. James is an exception, but we’re happy when 90 percent of our kids go to college and become productive citizens.”
Of the $10,000 donation, 75 percent will go to the Harlem Junior Tennis & Educational Program, and the remaining 25 percent goes to USTA Serves, which is the U.S. Tennis Association’s foundation for academics, character and excellence. The foundation is designed to support, monitor and promote programs that enhance the lives of disadvantaged children through the integration of tennis and education.

After Blake presented the check, he met and took pictures with 50 enthusiastic fans at the Evian Booth with the Olympus PhotoCart.

Well done, Blake but...

... too bad Blake lost to Mardy Fish in the third round match 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (4).

(Images and news via U.S. Open official website, AP Photo/Ed BetzAP Photo/Ed Betz)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...