Here are 10 reasons why the Ministry of Education should not implement single session and dismiss schools at 4 p.m.
1. Teachers are not babysitters. Teachers are burdened with a lot of programmes and paper works.
2. Parents will treat teachers like babysitters. They might take advantage to leave their children in school until they clock off at 5 p.m. only to pick up their children. This might lead parents to neglect their responsibility.
3. Teachers will be losing a lot of side income especially from tuition business.
4. Tuition centres and private tutors will generate lesser income too if students study until evening.
5. Students will definitely end up bringing more books to school (which resulted in heavy school bags which is not a new issue) as there will be more study periods. Unless the evening hours are for extra curricular activities.
6. Students should spend their evening for leisure, take a nap or doing homework instead of wasting time waiting for the bus or parents to pick them up after school at 4 p.m.
7. To be realistic, many schools are crowded and still have to opt for the two-session.
8. It's general election soon. If the next Minister of Education is not Hishamuddin, suggesting or arguing about this issue is useless because chances are new minister wants to implement their own policy.
9. The National Union of Teaching Profession (NUTP) is pretty vocally sound and will fight for the teachers who are already MENTALLY and physically drained teaching hundreds or thousands of students each day.
10. Students will be extremely tired after school. Or perhaps during school hours. Which one is better, sleep in the class or skip school?